Subscribe RSS

Tag-Archive for » little brother island «

A Year Without A Summer

From the book Water Over The Falls by Paul Gromosiak

The year 1816 is known in the Niagara region as “the year without a summer” because there were frosts in June, July, August and September. In May of that year, so much ice from Lake Erie accumulated above the falls that the American and Bridal Veil Falls were just about turned off. It was possible to go to the islands in the upper rapids just by walking on the ice. (There were no bridges to any of the islands at that time.)

Accumulations of ice both above and below the falls have always been an integral part of the process of recession of the falls. The ice breaks up rocks and erodes the gorge and river shores.