Subscribe RSS
Motel Fire Claims The Life Of A Man And His Dog

The room where a Niagara Falls man died of smoke inhalation last week did not have a working smoke alarm.

The body of the 47-year-old man was discovered Friday afternoon at the Regency Motel on Mountain Road.

Fire officials say the man, who lived at the motel, had likely been dead for several days.

“There was clear evidence there had been a fire in the room, but the fire had extinguished itself,” said Brian Dickson, an inspector with the Niagara Falls Fire Department.

The fire was contained to the bed and surrounding area. Inspectors say careless smoking is the case of the fatal fire.

“The man’s companion, a big Labrador retriever cross, was also found dead in the room,” Dickson added.

The man’s death occurred just days before a house fire in Hamilton claimed the lives of five people, including a mother and her three young children.

Continue the article at the Welland Tribune website

Category: Local News Add to: Share
You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.
Leave a Reply

XHTML: You can use these tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>